Learning Delivery Methods
Equivalent to 08 hrs.
This course focuses on work at height operations from a range of scenarios typically found on Telecom, Power Transmission, and Wind Energy Towers. The course has been developed to provide participants with a theoretical and practical knowledge of equipment requirements and safe work methods to be used when working at heights on telecom towers, energy towers, derricks and other latice structures.
Participants completing this course will understand the legislative requirements detailed in the OH&S Regulation and relevant Standards, Codes of Practice and the operation and maintenance of associated safety equipment used for working at heights.
This is a 1-day (30hrs) learning event.
Start/Finish Times: 09:00am – 17:00pm
Prior Learning Requirement: There are no formal prerequisites for this course but attending the following course is recommended.
- The presented course, materials, and workshop (if any) can be conducted in English or Arabic based on the trainees’ desires.
This work at Height training course will empower delegates with knowledge and skills that will permit them perform work at height operations safely and effectively. At the end of this session you will be able to:
- Identify work at height hazards and carry out simple JSA,
- Identify and use fall prevention and fall protection measures appropriately.
- Adequately control potential drop objects while working at height,
- Successfully carry out visual inspections on equipment.
- Identify the scope and OHS requirements for the working at heights (WAH) task
- Identify the hazards and managing the risks of WAH task
- Identifying fall prevention / fall protection options & methods
- Selecting & inspecting appropriate tools and equipment for the specific WAH task
- Safely installing equipment for the WAH task
- Inspecting, fitting & safe use of Harnesses
- Safely performing work at heights
- Emergency procedures & rescue of a suspended worker
- Safely dismantling, cleaning, inspecting and storing working at heights tools & equipment
Module 1: The Work at Height Law and the Work at Height Regulation
- The Safety Responsibility of the Employer regarding working at height
- The Safety Responsibilities of the Employee regarding working at height
- Sanctions and fines on the employer for failing to ensure a safe work place
- Sanctions and fines on the employee for failing to work safely.
Module 2: Types of sites and associated hazards
- Hazards associated with working on Guy Towers, Self-Supporting Towers and Monopoles during tower construction and Tower Modifications.
Module 3: Statistics of Accidents relating to falls from Height
Module 4: Hazards Identification on a Towers and Telecom site
- Evaluation of the Environment
- Visual Inspection of the structure of the telecom tower
- Visual Inspection of ascension path to position of work on a tower.
- Visual Inspection of work Equipment’s and PPE.
- Evaluation of the state of well-being of team members
Module 5: Fall protection and Fall Arrest System (Equipment)
Module 6: Fall prevention methods
- Techniques of tower ascension and tower descent
- The work positioning system and its techniques
- Collective fall protection techniques
This course is fully recognised by QA
This course is designed for workers and team members charged with carrying out work at Height Operations. It will be of great benefit to riggers, Derrick-men, roustabout, Roughnecks and other personnel in the Telecommunication, Onshore/Offshore Oil & Gas, Mining, Petrochemical, Construction and Manufacturing industry where there is a risk of personnel falling from height
There are no formal prerequisites for this course but attending the following course.