International Technical Certificate in Oil & Gas Operational Safety
Learning Delivery Methods
Equivalent to 40 hrs.
This qualification is specifically designed for people with safety responsibility in the oil and gas industry. The qualification focuses on international standards and management systems, enabling students to effectively discharge workplace safety responsibilities both onshore and offshore. The Certificate also highlights the importance of process safety management in the oil and gas industry.
There are no specific entry requirements for this qualification, however it is highly recommended that students have an existing underpinning knowledge of safety issues or have completed a NEBOSH Certificate level qualification previously.
This is a 05-day (40hr) learning event.
Start/Finish Times: 09:00am – 17:00pm (each day).
- Requires certain knowledge and experience in oil & gas industry before starting the course.
The NEBOSH Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety covers one main unit (IOG1) entitled ‘Management of international oil and gas operational safety’.
The key topics covered by the qualification are:
- Hazards inherent in the extraction, storage and processing of raw materials and products
- Hydrocarbon process safety
- Risk management techniques used in the oil and gas industries
- Contractor management
- Fire and explosion controls in the oil and gas industries
- Marine and Land logistics
This unit is divided into the following five key elements:
- Health, safety and environmental management in context
- Hydrocarbon process safety (1)
- Hydrocarbon process safety (2)
- Fire protection and emergency response
- Logistics and transport operations
NEBOSH does not set specific formal entry requirements for this qualification. However it should be noted that: The achievement of the NEBOSH International or National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety or equivalent prior to undertaking the International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety course is highly recommended.
This qualification is designed as a specialist sector-specific supplement to the NEBOSH International and National General Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety rather than to replace knowledge and understanding of general health and safety gained as part of these qualifications.
Students are assessed by one two-hour written examination. The examination consists of ten ‘short-answer’ questions and one ‘long-answer’ question. Scripts are marked by competent external examiners appointed by NEBOSH.
The overall qualification parchment will be issued on successful completion of the qualification.
In the UK – and, increasingly, worldwide – regulatory accreditation is recognised as a badge of quality, allowing our qualifications to retain their highly regarded professional status.
UK accredited qualifications provide you with certain guarantees that the qualification:
- Meets specific quality criteria that ensure it is fit for its purpose
- Includes relevant content
- Uses appropriate assessment methodology
- Is mapped to relevant National Occupational Standards (NOS)
- Is supported by relevant stakeholders including employers
- Meets the academic requirements for Technical Membership of IOSH (TechIOSH)
- Entitled to Associate Membership of the IIRSM (AIIRSM)
The NEBOSH International Technical Certificate in Oil and Gas Operational Safety is not accredited by the SQA Accreditation. However it is broadly comparable to Level 6/7 in the Scottish Credit and Qualifications Framework (SCQF), comparable to RQF Level 4 in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
See the “Qualifications Can Cross Boundaries” chart issued by the UK regulators, available here.
The NEBOSH Oil and Gas Certificate is a technical qualification and requires certain knowledge before starting the course.
- Health and Safety Knowledge: This course assumes those taking the course will have a good understanding of general health and safety and it is highly recommended that Learners hold the NEBOSH International General Certificate or equivalent before studying the NEBOSH Oil and Gas Certificate. If you do not have this knowledge, RRC provide reference materials to cover this but you should allow for a further 40 hours of study.
- Experience of the Oil and Gas Industry: The NEBOSH examiners assume students will have a wider understanding of the oil and gas industry, gained from working in the industry itself. This can provide difficulties for students without this experience as examination questions often require the application of the knowledge delivered in the course to industry-specific scenarios.
Whilst we cannot replace the practical knowledge gained through experience in the industry, we do provide reference materials to assist those without such direct experience. This outlines how oil and gas are extracted and processed, using easily understood diagrams to explain topics such as drilling, refining and storage. You should allow a further 25 Hours study if you need to study this.
Requires certain knowledge and experience in oil & gas industry before starting the course.
Comprehensive delegate folder and certificates. Public courses include, lunch, refreshments and our Residential option includes accommodation on the intervening nights of a course, plus dinner and breakfast.