Learning Delivery Methods
Equivalent to 24 hrs.
Once an organisation has implemented an ISO 14001 Environmental Management System it is required to conduct internal audits to establish whether it conforms to ISO 14001 and its own system requirements, and to establish whether it is effectively maintained.
This 2 day training course will teach you how to conduct ISO 14001 internal audits for conformity, improvement and for system effectiveness.
This training course forms days 2 Internal Environmental Management System Auditor course. It can be booked as a standalone training session; however, delegates are required to have good knowledge of the ISO 14001 standard and environmental management systems terms and definitions. This training course does not cover the requirements of ISO 14001; it only considers the auditing process. To book the 1st day – Introduction to ISO 14001 in addition to this, please see our Foundation of Environmental Management Systems (EMS) training course.
This is a 2-day (16hrs) learning event.
Start/Finish Times: 09:00am – 17:00pm
Prior Learning Requirement: Learners are required to be familiar with ISO 14001:2015 requirements or have completed a recognised EMS Fundamentals course based on ISO 14001:2015 prior to registering for this course.
Through a combination of expert led tutorials, practical workshops, case studies and role play based around real world environmental examples, the following topics are addressed:
- The purpose and benefits of management systems and the high level structure of ISO 14001, Annex SL.
- The role of Internal Audits within an Environmental Management System
- Identifying Environmental Aspects, which may relate to:
- Emissions to air
- Releases to water and land
- Use of raw materials and natural resources
- Use of energy and energy emitted
- Generation of waste
- Use of space
- The requirements of ISO 14001:2015
- Environmental Legislation
- Audit process, including:
- Audit Planning – prioritising environmental risks
- Checklists and preparation for audit interviews
- Audit interviews
- Clear and comprehensive non-conformity report writing
You will have learned how to identify and explain environmental aspects and their impacts on the environment (positive or negative) and establish which are significant and how this will affect your audit priorities. You will also be introduced to the framework of UK environmental law and where current environmental legislation can be found.
Following the international standard for auditing, ISO 19011, you will have acquired the knowledge and skills to competently audit an environmental management system for its effectiveness, compliance and improvement opportunities, through:
- audit planning and preparation to determine audit priorities
- effective checklist writing
- sound questioning / interviewing techniques
- evaluating findings using objective evidence
- audit report writing
This training course will contribute 24 hours towards your CPD (continuing professional development).
This course is fully recognised by QA
This course is designed for anyone wishing to plan, perform and conduct an Environmental Management Systems audit and report on its findings.
You may be an Environmental professional who is completely new to auditing, or an existing Quality, Health & Safety (or other) auditor wishing to understand the requirements of ISO 14001:2015, environmental aspects and their impacts, and how to conduct an effective EMS audit.
Learners are required to be familiar with ISO 14001:2015 requirements or have completed a recognised EMS Fundamentals course based on ISO 14001:2015 prior to registering for this course.